Monday, April 14, 2008
Environmental Causes and Concerns
The challenge is to make smart choices and changes from the local level, to the national level and around the globe.
I came across a great video link and discovered a great new site @ ted.com.
This link is to Al Gore's newest slide show presentation and I hope everyone has a chance to see it. The video is about 28 minute long so get comfortable, make a sandwich and get a glass of water. It is very important that people become more aware of what is about happen if we don't change our ways and Mr. Gore is doing his best to bring the message to all concerned. Please share a link to the video with others and help raise awareness.
The stuff you can do at home like recycling, not littering, turn the lights off when not in use, don't leave the water running while brushing your teeth or shaving, don't leave your car running and try to organize your errands so your not running around wasting your time and your fuel.
These are small steps that anybody can do but will contribute to the big picture.
On a regional level you have to start paying attention to your government and the representatives. We all need to get tuned in to the legislation and/or legislators that are guilty of fraud and waste.
Speaking of fraud and waste, I occasionally receive emails with action alerts and petitions.
There is one in particular that has become a real pain in my ass.
The Lieberman-Warner bill, aka "America's Climate Security Act" is a classic misnomer of a bill if there ever was one. This bill ,as I understand it, will give BILLIONS to the nuclear power industry and do very little towards putting caps on carbon.
I say that it has become a "pain in my ass" because I have tried to contact the people at Care2(the petition site) and one of the sponsors the Environmental Defense Fund (aka Environmental Defense Action Fund) for months and absolutely no one has responded to my emails.
Last week I received another from the Environmental Defense Action Fund saying that this bill is about to go before the Senate and they are sponsoring a "100-Day Blitz" searching for donations.
This really pisses me off! They can get in touch with me and try to get support but I can't even get a freakin' response from these 'tools' about their bullshit campaign!
Anyway I emailed them again..
"To whom it may concern,
I have tried to email you @Environmental Defense and Care2 with no response from either of you. Pretty sad isn't it?
People and companies that pretend to represent protection of the environment all the while proponents of a bill such as the Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act that would give BILLIONS to the nuclear power industry and do very little to enforce a carbon cap.
Again pretty sad isn't it?
I received your "100-Day Blitz" email and I just can't understand why you collectively find it "OK" to mislead people with this bullshit campaign. Your efforts could be better spent actually trying to PROTECT the environment not destroying it.
I would greatly appreciate a response,
Oh well I tried.. Was that to harsh, you think?
I have to say it again, any bill or action that has Lieberman associated with it bears much closer scrutiny. I think the Environmental Defense Fund may also bear closer scrutiny because of their ties to corporate interests like GE, Duke Power and Du Pont.
I would appreciate if others would contact those at Care2 or the EDF or perhaps there is something that you can do to help stop this bill in it's tracks.
Just say no to nuclear. Renewable and sustainable from now on please.
Today I received an email response from Sam Parry @EDF. He explained his position that they(EDF) felt that the Lieberman-Warner bill was a step in right direction.
I replied with a number of the links and info that I found disturbing about this bill.
ProgressOhio & The Writing Corner
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Monday, April 07, 2008
What Is Wrong With The American Public?
Is this the same mind numbing support people had for Bush?
The election process is already so skewered by the limitations of two parties how can any rational person declare themselves a "republican" and just vote the ticket?
McCain deserves respect for military service but that is it.
I think he comes off like a patronizing old fool when he opens every speech with "My Friends". He ain't my friend.
He co-sponsored a bill for campaign finance reform and yet he is in violation right now and the media doesn't even cover it.
He claims to have foreign policy experience but he doesn't even know the players on the world stage nor the intricate details of their culture and again the media doesn't call him on any of his doubletalk. WTF!
This kind of stupidity is a reflection of more of the same Bushshit.
Do you dumbass McCain supporters really want more of the same shit-for-brains leadership like we have with Bush?
10 things you should know about (but probably don't):
- John McCain voted against establishing a national holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Now he says his position has "evolved," yet he's continued to oppose key civil rights laws.1
- According to Bloomberg News, McCain is more hawkish than Bush on Iraq, Russia and China. Conservative columnist Pat Buchanan says McCain "will make Cheney look like Gandhi."2
- His reputation is built on his opposition to torture, but McCain voted against a bill to ban waterboarding, and then applauded President Bush for vetoing that ban.3
- McCain opposes a woman's right to choose. He said, "I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned."4
- The Children's Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children. He voted against the children's health care bill last year, then defended Bush's veto of the bill.5
- He's one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires. The Associated Press reports he and his wife own at least eight homes! Yet McCain says the solution to the housing crisis is for people facing foreclosure to get a "second job" and skip their vacations.6
- Many of McCain's fellow Republican senators say he's too reckless to be commander in chief. One Republican senator said: "The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He's erratic. He's hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."7
- McCain talks a lot about taking on special interests, but his campaign manager and top advisers are actually lobbyists. The government watchdog group Public Citizen says McCain has 59 lobbyists raising money for his campaign, more than any of the other presidential candidates.8
- McCain has sought closer ties to the extreme religious right in recent years. The pastor McCain calls his "spiritual guide," Rod Parsley, believes America's founding mission is to destroy Islam, which he calls a "false religion." McCain sought the political support of right-wing preacher John Hagee, who believes Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for gay rights and called the Catholic Church "the Antichrist" and a "false cult."9
- He positions himself as pro-environment, but he scored a 0—yes, zero—from the League of Conservation Voters last year.10
John McCain is not who the Washington press corps make him out to be. Please help get the word out—forward this email to your personal network.
follow the link for references..
UPDATE and another link.. McCain has a temper and dirty mouth..