.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Politics of Labels

When reading articles and message boards I find it somewhat distracting from the point when the author or respondent begins using labels to describe another with a differing opinion.
IE....left, right,dem, neocon, etc etc..
I do tend to get lost in all the rhetoric.
Sometimes making it difficult for me to digest the topic.

This leaves me wondering where do I fit in ?
What label should apply to me ?
In past elections I tend to think of myself as independent.
I don't follow one party with any allegiance.
Though it appears I may have missed the point. The candidates will follow the lead or that common thread that connects them to a party; regardless of any grandstanding, speeches or promises made in the heat of the moment.
I really need a scorecard or something that offers direction in the search for truth. (truth, politics..Yeah right)

I'll give it a go..
***
Left refers to democrat(or sometimes center left)...supporters> working class(labor unions), minority ethnic groups...more liberal prefers social issues..welfare, jobs, gay rights, reproductive rights, multi-cultural...
***.
Right refers to republican(or sometimes center right)..supporters> big business, religious groups, rural America ..more conservative prefers to preserve traditional policies...
***
Religious right is against abortion and homosexuality..generally support right wing economics, privatization, deregulation and the elimination of social programs...
***
Liberal usually signifies independent of party, open minded and non traditional...
***
Libertarian refers those against funded social programs, few government functions other than military and limited government regulation of business...
***
Green party has 4 pillars of concern..
..Ecology-raising environmental awareness
..justice w/social responsibility
..democracy and appropriate decision making
..peace...

My concerns are that government gets too big and then out of control.
You know like w/the IRS and w/social programs like welfare.
It really bugs me the thought of some fat ass momma getting pregnant "again" to work the system and increase the amount of her monthly check.
This plan will also include the health care for the "won't work but will eat" breeder and her pups.
All the while kids starve living on the streets and old people can't afford their meds.
The public and businesses have to held accountable for the state of our environment.

I may be stuck somewhere between Green and Libertarian.

WHO ARE YOU ??

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?